Missing AppData or ProgramData folder on Windows
If "AppData" Folder is Not Displaying
By default, Windows makes the "Application Data" folder hidden from view.
On Windows 7, 8 and newer, to access the "Appdata" folder:
- Open File Explorer (called Windows Explorer on Windows 7).
- Then type %appdata% in the Explorer address bar at the top of the window and press Enter.
- The contents of the AppData folder will then display including the Roaming subfolder (which includes the ProSelect and ProSelect Resources folders).
If using a Windows keyboard, then press the "Windows/Start" key and "E" together on your keyboard and this will open Explorer (the "Windows" key is next to "CTRL" key).
To permanently display this hidden folder:
- Under the View menu in File Explorer, click the Hidden items checkbox. (On Window 7, under the Organize menu in Windows Explorer, choose Folder and search options, then the View tab, and change the option to Show hidden files, folders and drives and click OK button.)
- Be aware that this will show you many more files & folders which you need to be careful not to change if you don't know what they are for. You can change this setting back at any time.
Getting to the folder via ProSelect
Another way to quick access this folder is to use the "Show in File Explorer" menu option inside ProSelect:
If "ProgramData" Folder is Missing
If on Windows and you are missing the c:\ProgramData folder mentioned above, then this is due to a non-standard Windows installation (such as migrating from Window XP) and causing the problem with ProSelect.
The only solution is to modify the related Windows "Registry" entry and the following steps will resolve this.
PLEASE proceed with caution (or get a technical person to do this for you).
- Choose Start button (bottom left of your screen) and type in your search for "regedit".
- Click on RegEdit.exe when displayed.
- Expand out following path on left column as follows:
- - HKEY_CURRENT_USER
- - Software
- - Microsoft
- - Windows
- - CurrentVersion
- - Explorer
- - User Shell Folders
- Double click on AppData
- Change value data FROM "%USERPROFILE%\Application Data" to be "%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming"
- Click OK
- Choose File then Exit (at top of RegEdit Window)
- Restart ProSelect/ProSelect Network Server
Note: ONLY CHANGE AppData if value is currently "%USERPROFILE%\Application Data" otherwise this will NOT fix problem.
If using Mac OSX and you can not see the Library folder under the account user name, then please see the article Missing Library Folder on Mac OSX.
KnowledgeBase Article: Missing AppData or ProgramData folder on Windows