Using ProSelect with Adobe Lightroom
This article assumes that you are using:
1. ProSelect Plugin for Lightroom (version 2.1.1 or newer)
2. Lightroom Classic CC
3. ProSelect Basic and Pro version 2019r1.7 and newer
A RAW file workflow can be optimized with the use of the ProSelect Plugin for Lightroom. In this process, Lightroom can be used for the initial preparation of images and subsequent changes for automated creation and updating of ProSelect albums.
The Plugin will allow you to:
- Export selected RAW images from Lightroom into a new or existing ProSelect Album
- Make changes to RAW images in Lightroom, then send updates to ProSelect
- Export .mp4 and .mov from Lightroom to ProSelect
- Open associated RAW files in Lightroom from selected images in ProSelect
- Open RAW files in Lightroom from ProSelect Pro Production
Note that Photoshop is still required for the automated processing of files in ProSelect Pro’s High-Resolution Production module.
Working with RAW Images
ProSelect allows direct importing of JPEG, TIFF or PSD files. Using this plugin, importable files are automatically created and written to the source folder and used to build the ProSelect album.
The plugin supports a RAW only workflow or a RAW+JPEG shooting workflow. Processing changes made in Lightroom, when exported to ProSelect, will generate new or updated images and bring those into ProSelect. If changes are made to a RAW file in Lightroom, then exported for ProSelect, an existing file (JPEG, TIFF or PSD) will be overwritten and the update sent to ProSelect. This overwrite process ONLY happens if the RAW file exists in the same folder.
Important: Your RAW images and their associated JPEG, TIFF or PSD files need to be all in the same folder so that ProSelect can locate the RAW files if you wish to open them in Lightroom or Photoshop while you are working in ProSelect.
Required ProSelect Settings
Setting up ProSelect to work with RAW images
Check that you have the settings below setup in ProSelect's Preferences:
Make sure that Link/Byass RAW files with Extensions is checked (this enables RAW workflow) and that any RAW file extensions that you use, must be included in the boxes above. If your file type is not currently there, simply replace one or more of the options.
Setting up ProSelect to work with Lightroom
Either Lightroom or Photoshop’s Adobe Camera Raw can be used to edit RAW files from ProSelect. You can select this in the Preferences.
Note: Lightroom does not have to be set as the Default Raw File Editor to use the LightRoom plugin.
When opening a RAW file directly from ProSelect, the option you select in your ProSelect preferences (above) will determine the editor to open. This applies to using the shortcut keys CMD-Y (Mac) or CTRL-Y (Windows) when Working with Images or using the Open Raws in XXXXX from High-Res Production.
Installing from within ProSelect
ProSelect 2019r1.12 or newer now include the Plugin as part of both the FUL and UPDATE ProSelect Installers. You can choose to install or update the Plugin at the same time as installing that version of ProSelect. After installation, you can also re-install the Plugin from under the Help Menu in ProSelect.
In both these cases, the Plugin is installed into the default location for the Plugin below:
Mac OSX: Username/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom/Modules
If you have previously installed it in another location, you will need to manually remove it from that location to avoid having two versions showing up in Lightroom.
Installing the Plugin in Lightroom on Windows
- Download and the free ProSelect Plugin for Lightroom from the main ProSelect downloads page for Windows.
- Unzip the downloaded file and run the setup installer. IMPORTANT: If you have previously installed earlier versions of the Plugin, make sure that you follow the instructions in the readme section of installer about making sure that you have removed any previous versions.
Installing the Plugin in Lightroom on Mac
- Download and the free ProSelect Plugin for Lightroom from the main ProSelect downloads page for Mac.
- Unzip the downloaded file and run the installer. IMPORTANT: If you have previously installed earlier versions of the Plugin, make sure that you follow the instructions in the readme section of installer about making sure that you have removed any previous versions.
Recommended Lightroom Settings
- In your Catalog Settings: Lightroom -> Catalog Settings-> Metadata, select "Automatically write changes into XMP".
- In Lightroom-> Preferences-> External Editing-> Edit Externally File Naming: choose Template: Filename
For additional Lightroom information, refer to this Knowledge Base Article.
The Plugin Export Window
Once you have the Plugin installed in Lightroom, select Export... (under the file menu) then Export To: ProSelect to show the Plugins main window:
Using the Plugin
- Open ProSelect with no album loaded.
- In the Lightroom Library mode, select images and videos for ProSelect.
- File > Export. In Export To: choose ProSelect.
- Select Plugin Settings, choose ProSelect Album and Image Setting options.
You will find more information on this topic in these resources:
- ProSelect Reference Manual -> ProSelect Lightroom Plugin section. (You can open this manual under the Help Menu in ProSelect)
- Search the KnowledgeBase for Lightroom articles.
- Watch the Working with Lightroom training movies
Older Versions of ProSelect
Be sure are using the correct plugin version for your ProSelect version. Older plugin versions can be found in the Old Versions Downloads page. Refer to the documentation in your ProSelect Reference manual (Open under the Help Menu in ProSelect) for installation and use.
KnowledgeBase Article: Using ProSelect with Adobe Lightroom